BCI Project: Master Bed & Bathroom 4 (The Hunt for Nightstands)
Relatively speaking, I don’t have to buy much for the bedroom. They already own the biggest piece (the bed) and since I’ll be attempting to make the headboard, I don’t have to hunt around shopping for one in my price range (although if anyone knows where I can get a California-King sized cream colored, tufted headboard for less than $250, please do let me know :-)). Here are the only items on my shopping list:
- 2 nightstands (and maybe a dresser)
- 2 mirrors
- the stencil (already know where to get this)
- 2 light fixtures
- wall art
- TV wall mount
Easy…except for the nightstands. I budgeted for 2nd-hand pieces but the majority of what you’ll see at thrift shops is there for a reason – either in extremely bad shape or extremely out-dated. I can refinish if necessary – many people had doubts about the nightstands I purchased for “Purple Princess” but they turned out great if I do say so myself:
However, refinishing takes time and effort and can cost a bit also, as I learned on my last project where I bought a leather-looking chair off of craigslist for $10 thinking I’d gotten a steal, then proceeded to spend $70 on supplies to patch it and replace missing buttons. And refinishing still means that I have to find pieces with the right “bones”.
Searching on craigslist so far has been unsuccessful. The main problems are:
- they have to be modern looking (so, nice clean lines) but thrift pieces are mostly ornate or overly traditional.
- they have to be at a certain level of quality and again, a lot of 2nd-hand stuff is too cheap to even consider.
- they have to be the right height, width and depth for the size and scale of the room and gigantic bed.
- they need to have storage – a side table isn’t out of the question but I would prefer drawers.
- ideally they’ll be the correct color (but I can easily change this).
- and though different from each other, the pair needs to be approximately the same size and shape.
All of this on a tiny budget is not easy to accomplish. I’m not discouraged however. I know that I just need to keep looking. I’ve gone through this process several times, and I know that eventually I’ll come across exactly what I’m looking for.
So the hunt for the right nightstands at the right price continues.